This granola is full of healthy fats (omega 3’s!), Magnesium, Iron, Vitamin E, and a good amount of protein. It’s perfect with almond milk, or on its own.
- 2 cups raw almonds (soaked at least 8 hrs. or overnight and rinsed)
- 3 cups buckwheat groats (soaked at least 8 hrs. or overnight and rinsed WELL)
- 2 cups walnuts or pecans (soaked 2 hrs. and rinsed)
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (soaked 2 hrs. and rinsed)
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds (soaked 2 hrs. and rinsed)
I soak almonds and buckwheat groats overnight. Then other nuts/seeds (in the same bowl) the next morning for a few hours.
- 1 frozen packet of Acai (available at WholeFoods or other specialty stores) or 1/4 cup Acai powder
- 1 TB. spirulina
- 1 cup organic Thompson raisins
- 1 TB. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice and orange zest
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 ripe banana
- Stevia – to taste (optional)
I’ll sometimes add Maca, Maqui, stevia instead of banana, or substitute dried figs for the raisins.
1. In a blender, blend the wet ingredients until smooth. Add a touch of water, if needed, to facilitate blending.
2. Chop almonds in food processor (keeping as chunky as you like your granola) and transfer to a large bowl. Pulse the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and walnuts (pecans) in food processor till desired size and transfer to bowl with almonds. Transfer rinsed buckwheat groats to large bowl with other nuts/seeds (no need to process them!)
3. Pour the wet mixture on top of nuts/ seeds/ groats and mix well.
4. Spread the granola on teflex sheets on dehydrator tray (I usually get 4 trays out of this recipe) and dehydrate at 115 degrees for about 6 hours. Flip the granola off the teflex sheets onto mesh tray and put back in to dehydrate for another 8-10 hours (depending on humidity and temperature in house) until granola is crunchy. (*Granola will get crunchier once in fridge.*)
If using oven version (not raw) – Bake on a parchment covered baking sheet at 250 degrees for 45 minutes-1hour. Every 15 minutes, flip the mixture. Watch carefully towards end not to let it burn! Let cool 15 minutes before breaking apart into pieces.
5. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container in the fridge. The granola will harden in the fridge.
Raw granola is expensive if you buy it at the market and specialty stores. Making your own is so much cheaper and healthier because you have the ability to put in it what you desire.