|Apple Brown Betty||
Recipe Type: Dessert
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
I use Macintosh apples because I like the tartness, but most apples will work—except Granny Smiths.
- 2 cups cubed sourdough bread (?-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples
- cup agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- teaspoon ground cinnamon
- teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 1 to 2-quart baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the bread cubes and butter.
- In a large bowl, toss together the apples, agave syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
- Place ? of the bread cubes in the baking dish.
- Top with all of the apples (but not the juice in the bowl).
- Top with remaining bread cubes and pour sauce from apples over the bread cubes.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 20 to 30 minutes longer or until bread cubes are browned.
HIGH: carbohydrate, fiber
LOW: cholesterol, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe