Recipe Type: Entree
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 30 mins
- 3 sprays cooking spray
- 2 yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 5 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 10 sprigs Italian parsley, stems and leaves intact
- 1 (16 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pitted and halved Kalmata olives
- 1/4 cup drained and rinsed capers
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- In a large non-reactive pan, add 1 spray of cooking spray. Add the onions and saute on medium heat, stirring often, until translucent and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers and celery and saute, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes. Season with pepper. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Tie the thyme sprigs and parsley together with kitchen twine. Add the tomatoes and the herb bundle to the pan and cover with a lid. Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring from time to time, for about 15 minutes. In a separate skillet, heat the remaining 2 sprays of cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, and season with pepper. Cook until lightly brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Add the sauted eggplant to the tomato mixture.
- Cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the vinegar and sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar completely.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and discard the herb bundle. Stir in the vinegar mixture, olives, and capers. Adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, as an hors d’eouvres or as a topping for pasta, chicken or fish.
Serving size: 0.5 Calories: 100 Fat: 4 Carbohydrates: 17 Protein: 2
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe