|CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS||
Recipe Type: Main
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
- 1 stewing chicken, cut into pieces
- 4 c. water
- 3 stalks celery with leaves, cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 c. onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 c. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 2 tsp. parsley, minced
- BISCUIT DUMPLINGS
- 1/4 c. Crisco
- 2 c. self-rising flour
- 1/3 c. milk
- Cut Crisco into flour then stir in milk. Drop by spoonfuls into broth. Cover and simmer
- for 20 minutes.
- Combine first seven ingredients in a large covered pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken to plate.
- Strain broth, measure and add enough water to make 3 cups liquid.
- Mix together flour and milk.
- Return broth to pan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in flour and milk mixture.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes.
- Return chicken pieces to gravy and cover.
- Prepare dumplings.
- Drop by spoonfuls into gently bubbling gravy.
- Cover pan and cook to 25 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with parsley.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 220 Fat: 15 Saturated fat: 0 Unsaturated fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 20 Sugar: 1 Fiber: 3 Protein: 17 Cholesterol: 34
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe