Mango Salsa Black Beans + Red Coconut Rice
Recipe Type: Entree
Creamy black beans melt with fluffy lime coconut rice and garnished with cilantro and mango salsa.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup red rice, dry
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup mango salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Scatter coconut flakes on a baking sheet and bake at 350 F for 5 minutes. Ensure that they don’t burn. Once they turn a tan color, remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large saucepan bring the rice, vegetable broth, water, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, salt, and pepper to a boil over high heat. Give it a good stir, then once it reaches a boil, cover and turn down to simmer for about 45 minutes or until all the water is gone and the rice is fluffy. Towards the end, give it a few more good stirs to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add more water as needed. Red rice seems to take a lot of water I’ve noticed. If you’re using different rice, then adjust accordingly.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in the chili and chipotle chili powder and saute a few minutes, then add the chopped onion and saute for about 5 minutes. Next, add the beans and 1 cup water and allow to simmer over low heat, uncovered, for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the beans from heat after the 20 minutes and add the coconut, lime juice and cilantro. Stir well to combine.
- Serve the beans over the rice and top with 1/4 cup mango salsa.
Author: Katie – Produce On Parade