Who doesn’t love a hearty Italian lasagna dish? Unfortunately, traditional lasagna is laden with meats and cheeses that don’t exactly help out your heart. For a lighter twist on lasagna, try Thomas’ zesty, garden-fresh variety.
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced in 9 slices (about the thickness of lasagna noodles)
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced about a 1/4 inch thick and cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced basil
- Olive oil
- 1 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and place them face up on a baking sheet lined with a silicone pad.
- Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes until the tomatoes are juicy and slightly caramelized. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the pine nuts, garlic, and parm until pasty. Add the basil and big pinches of salt and pepper, and while the food processor goes, drizzle in the olive oil.
- Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- On a large plate, line three pieces of zucchini slightly overlapping. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of the pesto (enough to coat the zucchini) and cover with tomato halves.
- Add another layer of zucchini. Sprinkle the cherry tomatoes and top with 2 tablespoons of the basil.
- Top with another layer of zucchini, add the tomato slices, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and the remaining basil.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil
Buon Appetito !
Inspired by: GirlsGoneSporty