Vegan + Gluten Free. Serves 4.
- 4 medium beets, peeled + quartered
- 8 – 10 large carrots, peeled + halved
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt + pepper
- 1 + 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup millet
- 1/4 cup sultanas or dried currants
- 1/3 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup each fresh cilantro + parsley
- Juice of one lemon
What to do
- Preheat oven to 425 F / 220 C
- Whisk together harissa, cinnamon, cumin, ginger + olive oil in a small bowl. Place beets + carrots on a rimmed baking sheet and poor over half the dressing. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven until caramelized and tender, about 35-40 minutes, depending on size. Beets might need a little longer, but I like the carrots really tender + the beets with a little bite.
- While the roots are roasting, cook the millet. Toast millet seeds in a small pot over medium until fragrant and toasty, about 3-5 minutes, then add 2 cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, let sit for a few minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- About 15 minutes before the roots are done, toss the chickpeas in the remaining harissa dressing so that they are well coated, then place on the baking sheet along with the vegetables.
- Add almonds, raisins, parsley + cilantro to cooked millet. Squeeze over the juice of one lemon and a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve along side roasted roots and crispy chickpeas. Garnish with fresh herbs.