|Nori Rolls (vegetarian sushi)||
Recipe Type: Main
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
Delicious Vegetarian Sushi
- 4 sheets nori, pretoasted (oriental or natural food market)
- 1 T. umeboshi plum paste
- 1 T. rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 slice ginger, smashed or grated
- 1.5 T soy sauce
- 2 carrots
- 2 organic eggs
- 4 scallions
- 4 c. cooked brown sushi rice or quinoa
- 1 T. oil
- Prepare ingredients: Heat oil in small skillet (about 20 cm diameter) on med. high.
- Slice carrots *lengthwise* into pieces about 0.5 cm diameter.
- Saute carrots, garlic, and ginger until carrots are just slightly cooked, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Stir together eggs and soy sauce.
- Add to pan, and cook until eggs are set.
- Do not disturb eggs while cooking, except to turn once.
- You should end up with an “omelette”, fairly dry.
- When eggs are set and moderately firm, remove from pan.
- Cut into strips about 0.5 cm wide.
- Mix vinegar and plum paste into cooked, cooled rice.
- Assemble nori rolls:
- Lay out a sheet of nori with the “rough” side toward you.
- Spread 1/4 of the rice across nori, leaving about 2 cm space on the far end and 1 cm space on the close end.
- Go all the way to the sides.
- Make an indentation in the rice about 2 cm from the close end.
- Lay 1/4 of the other ingredients in the indentation: carrots, eggs, and 1 scallion.
- Now roll up, beginning by folding over the 1 cm flap of nori closest to you, then rolling up from the folded edge.
- You want the roll to be nice and firm, so try to keep it tight as you go. To seal, run a slightly wet finger over the edge where the seam is.
- Place seam-side down.
- Slice crosswise into pieces 4-8 cm long (your preference).
- The orange carrot, yellow egg, and green scallion make a lovely center against the white (or brown) rice.
- Serve with soy and pickled ginger.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 210 Saturated fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 15 Sugar: 3 Fiber: 0 Protein: 3 Cholesterol: 0
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe