Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Make meal time family time. Slow down and enjoy eating.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water or organic low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 14 ounce tomatoes (not from a can)
- 1 cup brown rice, (soaked for about 30mins) uncooked
- 1 pound shrimp, cooked and cleaned
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in flour. Stir constantly for 1 minute until flour browns.
- Add onion, celery, green peppers and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add water or broth, seasonings and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Add rice. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover mixture and simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in cooked shrimp. Cook one more minute to heat shrimp and serve.
Serving size: 1 cups Calories: 420 Fat: 8 Carbohydrates: 52 Protein: 35
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe