This thin and crispy pizza base is one of our favourites. Being made from rice flour and macadamia oil, it’s quite a bit lighter than our scrumptious coconut flour base due to the lower fat content.
Ingredients, for 2 people:
80g brown rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 large egg
2 tbsp soy or almond milk
1 tbsp macadamia oil
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper, to taste
Method, for the pizza base:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 5
- To make the base weigh out the rice flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg, milk and oil.
- Add the liquid to the flour mixture and combined with a fork. Form dough into a ball and let rest for a few minutes while you prepare the baking tray.
- Next line a tray with baking paper. Place the dough in the middle of the tray, and roll out with a rolling pin until 3mm / 1/8 in thick. Make sure to dust the rolling pin with some flour to stop the dough from sticking.
- Place tray in the oven and back for 15 minutes or until golden.
For the topping:
While the base is in the oven, make your green sauce. Heat a good drizzle of macadamia oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Finely chop the spinach and sauté in pan until wilted. Now add the basil pesto, lemon zest and black pepper, mix through and continue to lightly fry until there is no liquid remaining in the pan.
Preparing your pizza:
Once golden, get the pizza base out of the oven and cover in the green spinach sauce. Add more toppings of your choice. Here we used roast butternut with dukkah spice, and some delicious crumbled goats milk feta and grated Pecorino Romano sheep’s milk cheese for a salty, low-lactose option.
Add a generous drizzle of macadamia oil before baking for a further 10 minutes or until cheese is melted/bubbling. Serve with a generous grind of black pepper.